"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Sunday, March 3, 2013

13miles/21k done and dusted, a race Report or .....

It's done it's dusted, I have finished a 21km/13mile Half Marathon and I got my finisher Medal to proof it.
That makes me actually really happy, my internal Couch potato was once again proven wrong, I was able to do it and I did it.
So how was it? Tough , really tough, I knew upfront that I had not trained enough and had hoped that I could hold it together at least until km 16/17 and it kind of worked out like that, at least that was my feeling. The last 4-5 km was just about getting through and that's what I did. I did fight my way to the end, I felt quite lightheaded the last couple of km's and I realized that my Body was desperately looking for food which I did not have.
So had to walk for most of the last bit's or when I tried to run it was more like a shuffling the feet along.
After I finally had passed the finish line, somebody did put a Medal around my Neck and gave me water  and a Banana , I did not need the Water but the Banana was in that moment the most important thing on this Planet ,I think I inhaled that Banana, I was ravenous.
Anyway did I mention already that I did finish last ? If not then here it is again I finished it , yes last position but I did not give up.
So today I dutifully uploaded my Tracking Data up to Endomondo and was very surprised when I saw the results, firstly I had done 2 personal Bests , one for 10km and one for 21 km , secondly I had a quick look at my heart rate Data, I know my Heart Rate is still a bit too high because of the lack of training but in general it stays stable, this Heart Rate Graph from the Race is actually amazing ,it shows a stable Heart rate until roughly 12km but then it completely is jumping up ad down, clearly a sign for me of lack of distance Training.
That explains why I felt light headed and ravenous later on.
So the last finisher is a very happy finisher right now, I finished it and I know that I need to train on distance and a bit more speed.
 I never will be speedy Gonzales, I don't even plan to be, but I hope the next Half Marathon will be a bit faster and easier.
Yep next Half is already in the planning , plus loads of other running, Triathlon and Cycling events





No comments:

Post a Comment