"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Monday, August 8, 2011

Welcome to the World of an Alpha-1


Let me start with a short Intro what what Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency  is and what it can cause , here is the official Statement from the  Alpha 1 Organisation :


Alpha-1-Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1) is a genetic disorder that can cause liver and lung disease in children and adult


Alpha-1 Antitrypsin is an important protein produced by the liver, which is released into the bloodstream and travels to the lungs.  Once inside the lungs it provides protection from the destructive effects of infections and harmful irritants, particularly tobacco smoke


I will go into exact Details over the course of this Blog but here is a short info what does that actually mean . People with Alpha 1 , could go through their life with no Symptoms in their whole life ,they probably don't even know that they have it, the other extreme is, people might need a Liver or Lung transplantation 


So in which category do I fall in ? To be honest I don't know yet , in theory I should be fine , I have only "half" a bad Gene ( I'm a Mz type ) and I should have enough protection in my Body to never ever get real symptoms. That's the theory , unfortunately no one can give me a guarantee on this, because there are plenty of people out there with my Gene Combination who have real Heath issues . So that's the general Stuff out of the Way, I will finish this now and in my next Blog will put myself in and what I'm doing and i guess why I'm doing it 

No comments:

Post a Comment