"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Saturday, April 14, 2012

First Adventure race finished

today was the Day , Today was Adventure Race Day and I did it, and finished it , really proud of myself.
Here is a summary of today's Pre Race , Race and the Rest of it.

The Day started early , very early indeed, I had to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get to the Race on time.I had been told that I had to bring my Bike into Transition Area by latest 7:45 even though my Race wave only started at 10:40.
 That was a very long and cold wait for me. The Weather in the morning was absolutely horrendous, we had Rain, Snow, Sleet and actually rather heavy Thunder and lighting.
So I asked myself, more than once what the heck I was doing out there and my little Voice which I like to call Couch Potato tried to convince me more than once, to go home but  I stayed on, and so my Race started.
 I did the shortest available Race option, which started with a 5Km Trail run , thank goodness by that time the Weather had actually improved ,after the 5km it was onto the Bicycle , roughly a 14km Trip down to a lake and here came the nasty bit .  A 1.5km Kayak stage on  rather choppy Water .
I was drenched within minutes and I was also getting cramps in my Legs and to top that off , at the end of the Kayak trip I had no choice other than to step into the Freezing Water to get to the shore.
So I had nice little Ice blocks instead of feet for the Rest of the Race. Now we had to cycle back the stretch we just came, I have to say my legs were in bits and I was not sure how I would be able to do the last bit, which was a 3 km run. On the Cycling stretch I actually was able to take over quite a few of the other Competitors of my Wave, but they all caught me on the last running bit. My legs just couldn't take anything else, so that meant I finished the Race and I finished it last in my Category. That is not bothered me at all, I'm just really happy  I did it and i finished it.
Will I do it again , to be honest not  sure , the atmosphere in those kind of Races is strange, it is not as cheerful as I know it from other types of Races, that might have been down to the Weather but I think it has more to do with the type of Race.
I will see , final Judgement certainly had not yet fallen on that. Now I will need a couple of Days recovery and then I need to get back into my Triathlon Training



No comments:

Post a Comment