"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Sunday, June 23, 2013

Did I already mention that I love Hiking ?

Yesterday I did the third annual Charity Hike for our local mountain Rescue Team , it was a 28 km Hike through a rather well known Area here in Ireland called Glendalough. In previous Years this Hike was a night Hike which was along the Dublin Wicklow County Border, very though very mucky but the sense of Achievement tremendous.
Since I don't have any sense of orientation I'm really happy that the Wicklow Mountain Rescue organizes this Event once a Year. They get some really needed funding and I can safely Walk during the Night with an experienced Guide .
Something I would never do on my own.
This Year they had to change the Format into a Day Hike and it had to be done on sustainable Trail , I was not very happy about that, when I heard this.
Actually I was really disappointed because this would mean I would miss out on my Night Hike but I also would Hike in an Area which I thought I knew extremely well and therefor it would be rather boring.
Anyway  I still singed up ,  I kind of felt obliged because I'm really grateful that these Guys are out there and when I do my Hikes on my own it is a very good to know that if I get in trouble I can call them to get me out.
So with not too high expectations I started that event and as usual with me I was very wrong, I Hiked in Area's in Glendalough that I might have glimpsed at some stage or more often I never had seen before, the Organisation was again perfect and even though the Weather was as usual a mix out of Sun and pretty heavy Rain it was just really good fun.
It took me just under 8 hrs to do the Hike which included a couple of nice Breaks where the Rescue Guys showed us bits and pieces of their Work and how the Rescue people from the Mountains.
I also managed again to get really bad Blisters on my heels which I will have to nurse today quite a bit
This was also probably the longest Hike I ever did but not the thoroughest one , when  we did this charity Hike in 2011 the first time , i firstly was defiantly not at the fitness level I'm today and i had to be pulled out of Bog holes more than once.
So whatever the Route for Charity Hike 2014 will be I want to take part again since every time I think I know it all , I get the big reminder No I don't , which brings me nicely back to earth ;o)





No comments:

Post a Comment