"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Saturday, February 11, 2012

Discussions between the Couch Potato and the Racer

The Couch Potato and the Race is the same Person ,ME . The Part of me which is the Couch Potato was today very loud and very annoying ,it tried  to stop the Racer in me, nearly the whole Day.
Sounds Crazy ? Maybe it is, but here are my internal Discussion I had today with myself.
Today I was signed up for my first 10km Race of 2012, the Race was in the afternoon , rather unusual, but it should not make a difference it's still 10k.
So I woke up this morning and the Couch Potato immediately tried to convince the Racer to chicken out of the Race , first argument : Your Back is still to bad, if you run it will hurt more .
Racer, yes maybe you are right but it feels OK today and I at least can start and if it starts to hurt then I always can quit.
Couch Potato now : but it is cold and rains out there, you will get sick if you do it . Racer , I can wear a rain Jacket, but yeah I might not do it , you are right , the Weather is bad my Back is still not OK .
Couch Potato : Yippee , ten minutes later the Racer in me : are you crazy? If I don't go today, I again will end up sitting the whole Day around doing nothing.
Couch Potato : Yes, and what is wrong with that ? Racer , shut up, we are going .
And the Racer won this argument , I'm writing this, after I successfully finished my first 10k of the Season , yes it did hurt a bit and it was cold but I'm proud of myself that I did it .

This is for everyone out there who has this Couch Potato Daemon as well,  I always have to fight against it, but  I have to say these Day's the Racer has won more often then the Couch Potato.
 The best Way for me to win the Argument is to show on social Media ( Facebook / Twitter etc ) that  I will do a Race, as soon as I have written this on a Public Site, then it means to me a serious Commitment and that trick works for Races and events ( I'm still working on the regular Training bit ) .

The best Example for this is, when  I did last Summer my Night Hike , I was scared about that Hike , I was seriously in doubt, that  I would be able to finish a 33 Km night Hike , so to prevent me to chicken out of that, I posted like crazy on Facebook and Twitter and I did the Night Hike and i was telling everyone what I had signed up for.
It was the toughest thing I ever did, but  I did it and the Couch Potato in me was silenced quite a bit. however that was not the biggest Surprise.
The biggest Surprise came after the Hike, when I told the Guy who guided us through the Night, that I actually had wanted to quit at the First Checkpoint but something in me told me to continue ( probably the Racer ), his simple answer was : I wouldn't have let you Quit this, you posted so much about the Hike on Facebook/Twitter, from that I took it that you really wanted to do that.
So Couch Potato for the Rest of the evening you can take over  but tomorrow we are going for a Bicycle Ride .....

No comments:

Post a Comment