"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Saturday, May 25, 2013

Is Adventure Racing my Type of Sport ?

today i finished my second ever Adventure Race , which meant doing a 1.5km of Kayaking, 12Km of cycling then 8km of Hill running or rather crawling and finishing off with another 19km of Cycling, I did  finish it even though i did finish last. It's not the first time I finished a race last and it will not be the last race where I will be in that position but honestly I did not truly and really enjoy this Race , I had the same feeling last Year when I did a even smaller Adventure Race but back then I did put it down to the bad Weather. The Weather we had today couldn't have been any better, the Sun was out but not too warm at the same time.
I had dreaded the Kayak since this was my really bad discipline last Year, last Year i got cramps in the Kayak, not something to recommend in a flimsy Plastic Kayak, this was fin today and my Kayak time was actually pretty good but my legs were Dead , utterly Dead from the beginning.
This could be down to 2 Reasons, firstly I might have done to little Training and too many Races or because i just have changed my eating habits 2 weeks ago , trying at the moment a mix out of low GI / Paleo Diet. For the Weight it works like a charm but it might not be the best to do this shortly before Races. Since I don't plan on winning Races I decided I rather try to loose the Weight and see what happens next.
Anyway my legs were dead, I kind of could cover this up on the Bike but there was no escape on the Run which happens to be in the pure Irish wilderness, the ground was mostly boggy, wet, slippery and uphill.
So yes that was just a seriously though.
When I came back to bike transition my Bike was the only one left there but I knew a another Girl could only be a couple of minutes in front of me, so I decided to get a bit competitive and try to catch her, I didn't catch her, but I passed another bloke who had a Race number on his Shirt, I didn't even had the strength to give him an encouraging Thumbs up, something I usually never ever miss otherwise.
While I was cycling  to the finish I was cramping like crazy, when I had managed to ease of the cramp in one leg the other one started and vice versa.
The whole Time I was fighting rather hard and here comes my stubborn Head pretty handy, I knew I would finish this somehow, and I did but the enjoyment Part was somehow missing and I can't really put down why.
The Atmosphere on my Triathlons is somehow different and whatever that difference is the Reason why I love my Triathlons but have decided to leave Adventure Races alone for the foreseeable future.
I have to concentrate on Triathlons anyway , end of August is my first ever Olympic distance Triathlon and it would be nice to have a descent amount of training under the Belly for it.
But next weekend is first another Sprint Triathlon , on that one the Swim should not be cancelled since it is a river swim and the Temperatures should be OK.
 I need to recover for that one, at the moment my legs are jut a Mess but that with a bit of luck forgotten in a couple of Days time.

And most importantly : HAPPY TOWEL DAY EVERYONE !




No comments:

Post a Comment