"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop !
Confucius



Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Race Weekend

So my Race Weekend is done and dusted and I have to say I'm rather proud of myself, but let's start at the beginning , here is a Race Report .
I had signed up for a Sprint Triathlon on Saturday, this would be the 3rd Triathlon I have ever done , so I'm clearly still a novice but at least by now I have a rough Idea what will happen at which stage at this type of a Race.
 Triathlons are great, but at the same time rather complicated, you have to think of everything ahead, you have to make sure that your Transition area is setup nicely etc. So by now I know what I need where.
 As usual with Triathlons it was a rather early Morning , I had to drive over 100km to get to Kilkenny where the Triathlon was happening. I arrived there with plenty of Time ( the way I like it ), did setup my Transition area and checked the exit from the Water Area.
 I had been told that it is a really long path from the Water Exit to the Transition Area. I didn't fancy running that Barefoot so I had brought some old runners which deposited at the Water Exit.

I had barely done this, when I already had to get ready for my Race start , so I did get into my Wet suit and put my Prescription Goggles on. I'm really very shortsighted and I don't fancy Contact lenses but the Prescription goggles are doing a good job. So with that I walked down to the Water Start.We had to walk down a busy Main Road and we must have looked rather strange in our Wet suits .
At this stage I just wanted to start the Race , or rather get the swim done, because I know this is by far my weakest discipline. I'm not competitive ( except against myself ) so I don't want to win anything I just want to be able to finish a Race.  It was a River swim and it was completely downstream, which was nice, the current made it possible for me to get a rather fast time for the 750m .
 Swim done , old runners on, and of I ran / walked to the Transition area. The whole Body feels really strange after a 15-20 min Swim . So I took my Time to get onto the bike part. The cycling section was 24km long, 12km in one direction and then 12 km back, straight Road which was downhill in the first 12km and of course uphill on the second 12km.
When I did this I was smiling all over the place ( pictures proof it ) , it was on and of Raining during the Race but i didn't mind this too much. Last Section then was the run, 5.3 km which  I took my time, they didn't had any Kilometer markers, so it was hard for me to judge how much longer I had to go but the finish Line arrived and I was just very happy to have another Triathlon in the bank. Overall it took me a little over 2 hrs to finish this, and I was really surprised that I felt I could have continued on,
so that was my Saturday .
To make my weekend complete, I also had signed up for a 7km Trail Race on Sunday ( am I mad ?answer is :probably ) as mentioned before I'm not competitive I just want to finish these kind of Races and this Run had appealed to me, so I had decided to do 2 Races in one Weekend .
I really enjoyed that Run , it was hilly, it was though but not boring ,It took me 49 min to finish and a 7-8 Years Girl was faster than me ;o)
Again I felt like I could have continued, that made me thinking , I had this feeling already now after a couple of Runs and in particular after a couple of Hikes. In the Past I was just dead and was barely able to crawl to my Car, these Days I'm tired but these is Gas left in the tank. That is a truly amazing feeling.
When I told my Colleagues of my Racing weekend I got a few glances which clearly stated that I'm a bit mad, especially when I told them next Weekend is the next Triathlon.










No comments:

Post a Comment